How often do you hear that drinking lots of water is essential for your overall health? Probably all the time. But, do you know how important hydration is for your complexion as well? No matter what your skin type is, the importance of hydrated skin cannot be understated and we’re going to explain why.
Hydration refers to water. Your skin needs water to give it strength and elasticity -- in other words, to look and feel healthy.
Luckily, you've got a built-in barrier to hold in water. The outermost layer of your skin, called the stratum corneum, is made of dead skin cells called corneocytes, stacked like bricks. Fats called lipids act like mortar. This cellular "brick wall" helps to keep the moisture locked inside your cells. The trouble is that the moisture-locking system doesn't always work as well as it should. Some people’s lipid barriers are more prone to drying out, and you can end up with scaly or flaky skin.
Skin can get dehydrated if the cells underneath the barrier lose too much water. When that happens, the cells become shriveled. As a result, your skin may look dull, lose its luster, and fine wrinkles can be more noticeable. Dryness doesn't only affect your skin's appearance. It also can leave it itchy and cracked, which makes it uncomfortable to live with.
So Why Does Skin Lose Hydration?
A loss of the lipids that normally seal in moisture can lead to dry skin. Atopic dermatitis, also called eczema, is a common condition where the skin barrier is more prone to losing its integrity.
Sometimes the things you do -- or don't do -- deplete your skin's water content, including:
- Spending time in the cold or heat
- Using harsh soaps, detergents, and chemicals
- Using rough sponges, washcloths, or exfoliating products
- Taking long, hot showers or baths
- Not drinking enough water
These problems are easy enough to fix. For example, you might drink a few extra glasses of water each day, keep your showers short and lukewarm, or minimize the use of soap, which strips the natural oils away from your skin.
Benefits of hydration and hydrated skin:
From a basic cosmetic standpoint, a hydrated complexion looks more plump, healthy and youthful looking. Having an adequately hydrated face will help to improve skin elasticity which will reduce the appearance of wrinkles. You can also expect the following:
- Improved skin elasticity – Skin elasticity is skin’s ability to stretch and snap back to its original shape. Loss of skin elasticity causes skin to look saggy, crinkled, or leathery.
- Reduced wrinkle appearance – improved hydration plumps up deflated skin cells and irons out wrinkles – this effect can be achieved in a short space of time with good skincare ingredients.
- Balanced oiliness – Dehydrated skin can be oily. Your skin has the ability to detect hydration levels and a lack of moisture signals sebaceous glands to produce oils. This can be regulated by increasing hydration.
- Improved skin defences – healthy, hydrated skin is better equipped to defend itself against environmental irritants. With the aid of added anti-oxidants, fighting off free radicals becomes even easier.
- Improved detox function – healthy skin cells have the ability to flush out toxins and the by-products of metabolism that result in dull skin. The ability for skin to detox is reliant on effectively hydrated skin.
How to Keep Your Skin Hydrated
To improve the look and feel of your skin, you want to attract moisture inside and keep it there. Here are a few ways to do it:
- Limit your showers to 5 or 10 minutes in less hot water.
- Use gentle soaps, laundry detergents, and cosmetics.
- Turn on a humidifier during the winter.
- Drink extra water throughout the day.
- Eat Foods Rich In Essential Fatty Acids – By eating foods rich in essential fatty acids like salmon, olive oil, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds, you can help keep your skin healthy and rejuvenated by improving your skin’s hydration levels.
If your skin still looks dry and flaky, apply a moisturizer or hydrating mask. Before you buy any skin care products, though, know your skin type: oily or dry.
What Can You Do Specifically for Your Skin?
First and foremost, drinking an adequate amount of water each and every day is the first step towards maintaining a hydrated and soft complexion. Experts say that you should be drinking at least eight glasses, or two liters of water per day. However, even if you are drinking lots of water every day, your skin still needs an additional boost of moisture. Mainly this involves using really effective skincare products in your daily routine such as our Rich Skin Hydrate & Moisturize Bundle.
First our Superfood Rosewater Essence has a skin optimizing essence that hydrates, plumps, and preps skin for serums, treatments, and moisturizers that follow. Moisturizes and plumps with rose water, hyaluronic acid, tremella mushroom, ancient Chinese beautifying mushroom, and natural humectants. Also, preps skin for maximum absorption of treatments that follow. Best for dryness, fine lines, and wrinkles. Restorative herbs work together with biome-friendly extracts to bring skin back to a state of balance.
However, it is the second and third step of our Complete Skincare System that is packed with moisturizing goodness! By applying our Rich Skin Face Serum and Repair Hemp & Retinol Face Cream every morning and night, your skin will get that extra hydration that its craving. Our Rich Skin Face Serum, sister to Glow Skin Face Serum is a first-of-its-kind. 3 in 1 fast absorbing antioxidant nutrient-rich water/oil-based face serum that is for hyperpigmentation, anti-aging for dry and mature skin, and inflammatory. Designed to be your daily go-to moisturizer and light exfoliator, the serum is formulated using CBD, glycolic acid, hyaluronic acid, and wild-harvested and organic botanical ingredients; it is the pinnacle of super clean, all-natural, effective skincare. Use morning and night. It contains 2000 mg CBD.
However, when you apply the moisturizer face cream on top of an oil (a serum), the actives in the moisturizer will absorb better and lock in moisture. Also, for those days when you’re in need of a serious extra dose of hydration, apply a hydrating face mask!
Our Repair Hemp & Retinol Face Cream is formulated with Full Spectrum CBD oil to counter-affect the drying effects of retinol, this Hemp & Retinol Face Cream delivers a powerful blend of vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and essential oils that hydrate skin, shrink pores and reverse the signs of aging.
So now that you know the importance of hydrating your skin, we hope that you’ll take these pointers and apply them to your daily routine! You can try our complete skincare system via the 5 Step SheBiology Bundle.
If you want to turn your daily skincare into a self-care ritual, explore our product line at She Biology today!